March 23, 2020
This weekend, Governor Murphy closed all libraries by executive order. We are closed until further notice. All programs are suspended until at least 4/16.
We are honoring the Governor’s request and will not be in the building. Please keep your books at home and do not put them in the book drops because there won’t be anybody to clear them out. While we are closed, fines and holds will be suspended.
We have also set up the ability to apply for a library card online. We ask that you send a picture of your driver’s license or some other proof of residence along with the request. You can find It on our website www.newprovidencelibrary.org in About > Apply for a Library Card.
During the closure, patrons can avail themselves of online resources including
- Overdrive for ebooks and audiobooks
- kanopy for independent films and documentaries
- hoopla for ebooks, audiobooks, movies, TV series, music & comics
- Tumblebooks with read-along picture books, chapter books, National Geographic videos, non-fiction books & graphic novels for kids
- Flipster with a selection of magazines that can be read online
- Rosetta Stone for learning a new language
- Lynda with more than 3,000 online courses in a wide variety of subjects
- Teen Book Cloud with ebooks for kides in grades 7 to 12
These and other great online resources such as Consumer Reports can be found on our website at www.newprovidencelibrary.org under Research > All Online Resources.
Finally, we will set up carts with some of our donated books at our front and side entrances for patrons to take and enjoy while the AfterWords bookstore is closed. Please take these books home and enjoy them. No need to return them. At this time, we have many donations and would ask that you refrain from bringing more.
We appreciate the patience and understanding of our patrons as we contribute to our community’s effort to limit the spread of the virus. Please check our website, facebook page or email distribution for further updates.
Lisa Florio Director, New Providence Memorial Library