DIRECTOR, New Providence Memorial Library
New Providence Memorial Library is seeking a dynamic, collaborative, visionary and creative leader to serve as Director. The new Director has a unique opportunity to lead the library into its next 100 years by following the roadmap set forth in the recently completed strategic plan. Re-imagining the library space along with updating technology and evaluating collections, programming and services to fit the changing model of library use will be part of maintaining and growing the library’s important place in the community.
New Providence is home to 13,000 residents within 3.6 square miles in Northwestern Union County. The warm and friendly borough has a vibrant local business community, a charming downtown, a top rated public school system and beautiful residential neighborhoods. The library is a vital community institution and the Director will lead staff, collaborate with the Board of Trustees, Friends, Borough Council, School Board, community organizations and other stakeholders to fulfill the library’s mission to be the cultural and learning center of the community.
Manage operations of the library on a daily basis, which include but are not limited to:
- Maintain a safe, welcoming, community-focused public library and assure access to accurate and timely information
- Lead staff and Board in creating and meeting objectives to fulfill the goals set forth in the library’s strategic plan
- Hire and supervise library staff while encouraging growth through training opportunities, participation in NJLA, LUCC and other committees
- Lead by example to provide excellent customer service and respect and encourage diverse ideas and perspectives
- Work collaboratively with staff to develop a range of diverse programs, activities and events to educate, entertain and enrich the community
- Develop and oversee the annual budget in collaboration with the Board Finance Committee
- Facilitate and maintain a productive working relationship with the Library Board of Trustees, the Friends of the Library and New Providence Borough Council and staff
- Work with the Board of Trustees to develop policies that meet operational needs and strategic goals and keep the Board informed of emerging trends in library service
- Lead the library in long range planning, civic engagement, public relations and evaluation of new resources and services to improve service for staff and library patrons
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated record of strong leadership skills
- Knowledgeable about technology and its use in libraries
- Able to manage a facility and staff of 15 PT, 6 FT and volunteers
- Experience with grant writing and private fundraising is preferred
- Experience in public library leadership, administration and management is preferred
- Able to clearly communicate the library’s mission to diverse stakeholders and foster collaborative relationships throughout the community
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and managing the expenditure of funds throughout the year
- Have or be working towards an MLIS from an accredited institution, NJ Professional Librarian Certificate, and valid NJ Driver’s License
- Must become a resident of NJ within one year of date of hire
- A minimum of five years of public library experience with at least 2 years as a supervisor
Compensation meets NJLA minimum, is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefit package including comprehensive health insurance, paid vacation, personal time, sick leave and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
New Providence Memorial Library, 377 Elkwood Avenue, New Providence, NJ 07974